Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Visit to the Eye Doctor

Thanks to the new online "GoodReads" book club I am a book reading machine! I've got more books to read than I know what to do with...however, a few weeks ago Jeff asked me why I was squinting so badly while I was pouring over my overdue book. Hum, squinting. Are you sure? Since that time I have done a personal evaluation...and the answer is yes, I am squinting.

On Tuesday afternoon I went to my first eye appointment since the dreaded eyelid lift of 1997. Many of you will remember the days of agony while I lay blind, useless and in pain for a week. Only to have three weeks of invisibility due to the hard and miserable contact lenses...I can still feel those stiches if I think about it long enough. At any rate, my friend recommended a great eye doctor just around the corner and it has been confirmed that I have a farsighted condition. He also mentioned to me that my eyes are very close together and that it may create a "crossing over" of my vision when I read or use the computer.

So my question to you jokers is...do I look like someone who's eyes are so close together that I'm practically cross-eyed. Holy crap. I'm 33 years old for crying out loud and I've just discovered that I might be really weird looking. The upshot (if there is one) is that next week I will be sporting a brand-new pair of reading glasses...and I'm really glad that he didn't tell me that I have just one good eye (like mom, ha.ha.ha.) Oh, and he also said that I have extra arteries in my eye connecting my optic nerve so if I ever have a bad accident there is a good chance that I can retain my sight if some of them are damaged. Well, that's always good to know--here's to hoping that I never have an accident where I'm relying on my freak secondary arteries. I probably grew them after the eyelid surgery because my body thought that I had had a major accident. Evolution, people. It's time to get on board.

1 comment:

Jeff and Rose said...

so apparently because no one commented I really do have a problem with funny eyes. thanks weasels.